Home Improvements

08:03

Now that I've been in my new flat for just over a month (!!!), I've got a much better idea of how everything fits into the storage that I have, and what else I need to get me really settled. Weirdly, for the first time in my life, I've got actually more storage space than I need and my drawers and wardrobes are actually about half full - a great reason to go and buy new clothes I believe. What I'm MAJORLY lacking though, is surface space.

I've actually got a proper bee in my bonnet about this first idea. For the past few years, Ikea have been offering an over-bed 'occasional' table as part of their Malm collection. Really annoyingly, now I need one, they've totally cut it. WHY? I've even emailed their customer services literally asking what they're playing at. I've scoured preloved.com and gumtree.com and none are coming up for sale within pick-up-able distance so I'm pretty much settled on making my own.

I've done a bit of research and found that I can get an extra long wooden finished shelf (140cm-150cm) for about £40, which would go over a double bed, and then I'll need legs / side panels and probably wheels, so I can slide it up and down over my bed. It has the potential to add up quite a bit, but I'm so absolutely set on this plan I'm going to start saving now. I can put my laptop up on the shelf while I watch TV, and as I'm in a studio flat, I can eat my dinner off that instead of a cushion on my lap. Dreamy.

Next up; a bedside table. It was really hard for me to imagine my flat once all the furniture was in place, and I wasn't sure I'd actually have space for a little something next to my bed. But I've actually got a space about 60cm wide and I think a little shabby chic addition could just pop in there delightfully. Below I've gone for a save and splurge option. The wicker unit on the left is just £35 from eBay and I'll probably get this because I need to be REALISTIC here, but the Dunelm Mill option is just oh-so-beautiful, even if it is £100.




And finally, not that these are at all surface-related or useful, BUT I'm seriously craving some gold/bronze/cracked pillar candles for my ethnic-themed bathroom and a snuggly fur throw for winter hibernation. The candles here are from H&M Home, somewhere I've not really explored much (not sure why), and are all a couple of pounds each which is just a total bargain considering the lovely finishes.
The darker throw on the left is H&M again, and the one of the left is Next (I mean, it wouldn't be a 'home' post without me mentioning the mothership). I like the idea of the slightly darker one against my light vintage bedding but I think somewhere in between the two of these would be the absolute ideal. Good luck to anyone who thinks they're getting a Christmas present from me; I'm going to be busy spending money on myself.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe